Monday, May 4, 2009

Quito so far

So we landed in Quito not 24 hours ago and I already feel like I have entered a new world. My host family is very kind and it is forcing me to communicate ONLY in Spanish which is definitely not the easiest thing when I´m not used to it! I already really miss home and the little things that we take for granted every day like clean water out of the tap, a shower with a lot of water coming out and rules for driving!

I am really having a hard time being away from Evan. Yes I do realize that it has only been a little over a day, but it´s the prospect that we may not get to talk or really communicate other than through email for the next 3 weeks that really makes it hard. Tomorrow we have a tour of the city and then on Wednesday we start visiting/teaching in the schools. Friday morning we leave for a more northern city called Otavalo over night to stand on the equator, visit the inidigenous people´s culture and go the Saturday markets.

If I can ask for prayer requests for health/safety, homesickness and speaking Spanish I would greatly appreciate it. I didn´t realize that Quito is actually 10,000 feet above sea level and not the 3500 I initially thought, so I haven´t been feeling the greatest today with some altitude sickness. Pictures and more updates to come later.

Ciao a todos

1 comment:

  1. Aww...Lynds, I know, I would miss Ryan after only a day too, I can COMPLETELY understand. I'm so sorry you're not feeling well, that's really HIGH! It's a good thing you came from Bend, and not from sea level! I hope you have a fabulous time, I will continue commenting on your blog because I know it must be hard to be so far from home. I pray that your homesickness improves, as well as your altitude sickness. I also pray that God uses you and moves through you during your trip there, and that you have an amazing, life-changing time while you are there. I miss you and love you! Love always, Angela

    ReplyDelete